2020 Fancy Cake Compendium

I baked a lot in 2020. I, obviously, shared many here on my blog (click here for my latest, Christmas-y bake!), but hadn’t posted my more “cake decorate-y” creations.

I don’t have a bakery, but I’m quite fond(ant) of making special occasion cakes. 

Sorry, that was bad.

If you would like any wafer paper or gumpaste tutorials on this blog, comment and let me know! I’m hoping to grow my blog this coming year. 

 Since my husband works in college ministry, I often get the chance to make wedding cakes as a ministry and gift to students.

Here’s a roundup of my favorites from 2020.

The first one is actually from the golden, carefree last days of 2019–but I haven’t shown it on my blog, so here we go...

October 2019


Edible, hand-painted wafer paper butterflies. And me.

March 2020 (pre-lockdown):

Our college ministry had a night of “worship through creativity.” My contribution was this sculpted fondant cake. The words say “Lion of Judah.” I think. #idontspeakhebrew




May 2020

A socially distanced, scaled-down, Covid-era wedding cake. Hand painted wafer paper flowers and candies lemon slices

July 2020

My daughter’s 4th birthday party (birthdays were crummy this summer for kids, so I wanted her to have a cool cake). She couldn’t decide whether she wanted a mermaid or a cat—so we did a mashup. The cat is sculpted out of modeling chocolate.  Jumping on the summer’s island gelatin cake craze:



July 2020:

Another masked up, scaled down wedding: 

Handmade gum paste flowers and watermelon cake balls (the theme of the wedding was "watermelon." How fun, huh?)

  

See the little watermelons?

 


August 2020:

Another pandemic, masked up wedding: (Lemon and blackberry flavored cake--yum!)

 


November 2020:

And the last wedding cake of the year for me:

Red velvet naked cake with handmade, gum paste sunflowers


Here's to more fun and cake in 2021!



Comments

Popular Posts