Toscakaka Torte #CakeSliceBakers


Okay, so let’s just start by addressing the elephant in the room—the fact that this dessert's name is "tosca-kaka." "Kaka" means “cake” in Swedish, okay? Sheesh, people are so immature.

Toscakaka.

(Snorts) Hee hee hee.



"You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means"--Inigo Montoya



But really. This cake is so good, you forget that it has an unfortunate sounding name. It’s like if Chris Hemsworth was named Lester-Freddy Bumkiss, but was still exactly like Chris Hemsworth—you could totally get past his name.


When you think of delicious cakes and pastries, which country comes to mind? If you’re like me, your first thought was likely France or Italy, which unarguably boast great desserts. But in researching this cake, I was surprised to learn that Scandinavia is also an epicenter of elegant treats.

There are complicated layered cakes, cinnamon-swirled buns, cream-puff-like delights, fancy pastries, and homey sticky cakes (like toscakaka). I mean, I’d eaten at IKEA...and the Swedish Chef is my spirit Muppet, but really hadn’t the foggiest.

Did I use a pair of my husband's pajama pants as a photo prop? Yes I did.




Swedes, I read, tend to prefer coffee to tea, and usually eat their sweets a couple of times on breaks throughout the day (called “Fika”) with a cuppa joe.

My kind of people.







I searched for Swedish traditional designs to try and find some decorative inspiration, and lots of knit patterns came up. I didn’t want to “gild the lily” on a cake that is supposed to be homey and comforting, and when I considered making gum paste flowers or berries I could almost hear the collective horrified gasp of thousands of Swedish minimalists.


So I decided to use almonds to make a knit-sweater-like pattern. Which was probably gilding the lily. But anyhoorgen...


The cake calls for dulce de leche in the batter and homemade caramel on top. While ridiculously sorting a bag of almonds to find pretty slices, I burned my first batch of caramel. So learn from my folly and don’t leave the stove while it’s cooking.

Also in my not-so-successful career as a caramel maker, I've learned that you need to have everything ready to go when you start--you can't wait until your sugar is heated to temperature before measuring your cream and cutting up your butter.

When I poured the caramel on my cake, it sank down slightly in the middle. This made the center quite gooey—not that I’m complaining! But you might pour the caramel in two or three goes to get a more even distribution. Or, you could mix the almonds with part of the caramel so that it turns into a giant florentine cookie on top of the cake.  That would be delicious.



So, if you’re in the mood for something that is buttery, full of caramel, and comforting—try making this cake. You'll be saying "toscakaka" in your dreams. You'll have to explain the name to anyone who might hear your mumbling, but give them a slice and they'll understand.


Mmmm...toscakaka...

Toscakaka Torte

(barely adapted from The European Cake Cookbook by Tatyana Nesteruk)

Cake:
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup softened butter
1/2 cup canned dulce de leche
3 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup almond flour
1/4 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder

Caramel Sauce:
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup heavy cream
4 T butter
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla

1 cup sliced almonds, to garnish (or mix with the caramel for the top...yum!)

1. Heat oven to 335 degrees. Grease the collar and use parchment to line the bottom of a 9" spring form pan.

2. Cream the dulce de leche, sugar and butter together on high speed for 2 minutes--until it is creamy.  Add the vanilla and eggs and mix for another 2 minutes.  Lastly, add the milk and gently stir (yes, I used a split infinitive.  I'll boldly go where no man has gone before, thank you very much).

3. In another bowl, sift together the flours, baking powder, and salt.  Gently fold them into the butter mixture--until just combined.

4. Pour the batter into the spring form pan, smoothing the top with a spatula.  Bake until the sides are set, but the center is still a little underdone (about 35 minutes).  You're going to put it back in the oven, don't worry.

5. While the cake is baking in step 4, make the caramel topping.  Put your cold butter, cream, salt and vanilla together in a bowl and put it to the side.

6. Pour the sugar and water into a small saucepan, and cook over medium-high heat until it reaches about 350 degrees.  It should be amber colored, and will probably take about 15 minutes.

7. When the sugar is at temperature, whisk the butter & co. into the hot liquid.  Stir it like crazy because it will likely foam up and you don't want a hot sugar burn.  Ouch. Stir it until the butter is completely melted and the sauce is nice and smooth.

8. Toast the sliced almonds for about 5 minutes on a baking sheet.  Toss them a time or two--until they are golden.

9. After you have baked the cake for about 35 minutes (see step 4), take it out of the oven and poke it all over with a fork.  Pour the caramel over the top slowly, making sure to spread it all the way to the edges.  Sprinkle the almonds over the top.  (Or alternately, mix the almonds with about 1/3 of the caramel and spread that mixture on last).

10. Put the cake back in the oven and continue baking for about 15 minutes more.

11.  Remove the cake from the oven, and let it cool for about 10 minutes.  Release the hinge on the spring form collar and allow any pooled caramel to go down the sides.  Let cool to desired temperature and cut with a serrated knife.





About the Cake Slice Bakers:

We're a group of bakers that bake through a cake-centric cookbook each year.  Every month, we choose from a selection of four of the book's recipes.  Follow the Cake Slice Bakers on FacebookInstagram, and Pinterest for baking inspiration and pictures of past bakes.  You can also check out the CSB blog where links are updated monthly.  If you're a blogger and want to join us in baking, send an email to thecakeslicebakers@gmail.com.  If you are a baker but not a blogger and want in on this baking action, there is a new Facebook Group: The Cake Slice Bakers and Friends.  Check out the thumbnails below to go to see what other members made!



Comments

  1. You are too funny! I will say that your almond pattern is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! I have a newfound respect for food stylists that meticulously put sesame seeds on hamburgers for photo shoots;) It was a fun cake to make!

      Delete
  2. Yes, I was surprised by the intricate pastries displayed in Denmark when we were there for Christmas. Your knit almond pattern is amazing. You have more patience than I do. And I laughed at your kaka comments. I have made the Kladkaka which is a chocolate Swedish cake...the boys laughed and laughed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks Camilla! I grew up with all brothers, so I can appreciate that kind of humor ;)

      Delete
  3. Looks delicious! You may have to make me one for my birthday 😉. I have never attempted making caramel, but I did try making toffee and although it tasted good, the texture was more like a praline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mom! If you want it, I’ll absolutely make it for you! You could definitely make caramel—you’re the master chef

      Delete
  4. I think gilding the lily was a perfect thing to do.....that cake is gorgeous. Looking forward to joining in the fun next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy! Can’t wait to see your creations:)

      Delete
  5. This one was quite excellent. Perfect as a breakfast snack as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Hubby ��

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one gorgeous cake! I'm pretty sure I'll be saying Toscakaka all day long and giggling at the same time. Thanks for the laugh and the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks Sandra Lee! (whispers) Toscakaka

      Delete
  8. I love the design on the top. Your cake looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts